Volunteers need to be committed to the issues we work on and able to volunteer one day a week for a minimum of three months. IKWRO will cover your travel and lunch costs, and provide training and regular supervision.
Farsi, Kurdish and Arabic speaking advice volunteers
Our Farsi, Kurdish (Sorani) and Arabic speaking Advisors are seeking volunteers to assist in providing support to vulnerable women and girls. Key tasks will include taking basic details and statements from women and providing basic information about our service; writing letters on behalf of clients to local authorities, housing, solicitors, etc; helping women to find emergency accommodation; accompanying women to external appointments (e.g. hospital, housing, solicitors, etc) and translating for them where necessary. You will also undertake administrative tasks which are needed for the smooth running of our advice service.
Volunteers for this role should have:
- A good level of spoken Farsi, Kurdish (Sorani) or Arabic as well as good written and spoken English
- An understanding of violence against women issues and the services available to women, gained through university level study in a relevant subject or relevant work experience
- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Basic IT, office and organisational skills, the ability to use their initiative
- A strong commitment to confidentiality and to supporting women survivors of violence in a non judgemental way
We need two volunteer Outreach Workers to promote our services to communities and professionals. You will work with IKWRO’s Outreach Officer to deliver outreach activities, and will distribute information about IKWRO’s services to clinics, colleges, libraries etc. You will also liaise with community organisations and public services.
The successful candidate will:
- Relate and communicate with people effectively
- Be comfortable working with different types of people
- Have at least one year of work experience
Speaking Farsi/Dari, Kurdish, Turkish or Arabic is desirable.
We are also looking for volunteers who can help to translate materials including our newsletter and parts of our website into Farsi/Dari, Kurdish, Arabic and Turkish. If you are fluent in one or more of these languages and in English, and have some translation skills, we would like to hear from you. Translation can be done at home on a flexible basis.